Thursday, October 23, 2008

Quillow

After finishing my first quilt I was swept along on the wave of excitement, and went onto make a 'quillow' for my sister's birthday! In case you've never heard of a quillow it is a small lap-quilt, with a cushion sized pocket area incorporated into the design. When not in use the quilt can be folded into this pocket and makes a small pillow. When used as a lap quilt on chilly evenings the owner can tuck their feet in the pocket for cosy warmth, a neat idea!



The design used for the patchwork was Magic Lantern, I like it because it appears to be quite complicated but is, in fact, very easy once you know how! I discovered the design in my book Making Scrap Quilts to Use It Up! by Lynne Edwards. You do need more than a few scraps to make the quilts featured in the book, but I found this publication really useful being a relative beginner, with easy to follow diagrams and instructions.


You can read how a quillow is made, and how it folds into itself here

5 comments:

Robin said...

This is absolutely beautiful Nettie!! I think you should make me one for those cold winter nights. lol
Robin

Nettie said...

and you'd have more use for it than my sister I think!

Art By Wanda said...

Nettie, a totally beautiful quillow!!! I hadn't heard of a quillow before but what a great thing. All your fabric cards are just gorgeous too!!!!

sue said...

wow what a great present, love the idea of a pocket for my cold feet, it must have taken you ages

Hannele said...

Your quillow is beautiful, I love the neutral color scheme!

Label Cloud

translator

Click for Cape Town, South Africa Forecast



________________
Add this to your site

my favourite living artist

my favourite living artist
is Kaffe Fassett

counter

Knit a Square

Knit a Square
help keep an orphan child warm

design team member

design team member
hudson jets

Stamps Happen at Janlynn

onyxXpressions


Lea


Favourite Books

  • Bonjour Tristesse (Francoise Sagan)
  • Complete Works of T.S. Eliot
  • Creative Art Concepts for Papercrafts (Lea Cioci)
  • Creative Cloth Doll Making (Patti Medaris Culea)
  • Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight (Alexandra Fuller)
  • First Love (Ivan Turgenov)
  • I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou)
  • La Belle Saison (Patricia Atkinson)
  • Letting Go (Morrie Schwartz)
  • Riding the Mountains Down (Bettina Selby)
  • The Alexandria Quartet (Lawrence Durrell)
  • The Sea, The Sea (Iris Murdoch)
  • The Silent Minaret (Ishtiyaq Shukin)
  • The Weather in the Streets (Rosamond Lehmann)
  • White Swans (Jung Chang)
Quilting Gallery Logo

Gumtree Cape Town




quilters unite!

quilters unite!
ewespace

Cape Town Activities

Township Art

FreshlyGround

join me on facebook

website of Alvin Schroeder

commitment

MyCommitment.org

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed



make a commitment now

MyCommitment.org

The International English School

This school was set up by my foster daughter, Tania, in May 1995. It is still going strong with an excellent reputation.






circle of friends

circle of friends


Snow Effect