The gown is made of pure silk, embroidered with silks and lined with silk fabric. The buttons are fastened with fine, rouleau made 'toggles' I cannot get a decent photo close up of these, as being fabric they just look grainy; but believe me they are little works of art in themselves, whoever made it had endless patience and skill.
From the look and feel of the fabric, and the style of the embroidery and gown, it is I feel quite an old garment, maybe from the 20s/30s although I am no expert, so cannot be sure. All I know is that I wish I had known the lady who made this and feel it a shame that it ended up for sale in an old shop, and not cherished by the family.
However it is cherished and valued now and I hope it can be passed on in my family, as a tribute to the unknown maker! This is the back view:














5 comments:
Beautiful. I wonder how long it took to do all that embroidery.
. . . a long, long time I'd think Peggie!
This is really special, Nettie. I can see why you love it.
Thanks for all your visits to my blog - I've just got back from holiday. J x
Hi Nettie!
I found you in blogland today and now I will be back to visit! Your silk treasure is in good hands~ I often see handmades in second ahnd shops and want to take them all home~always wondering like you how did they end up there? oh well....
Take care~
♥ E
Hi Nettie,
So nice to meet you and look at all of your creativeness on line here.
So happy to find another Christian blogger as well!
As I say, "we must stick together like peanut butter and jelly"!
I want to tell you I have an AKC Cocker Spaniel blk and tan. she is beautiful too.
YOur friend draws beautifully.
Thank you for being here ..
hugs, Darlene
Post a Comment