Saturday, October 16, 2010

Afrika!

Hello fellow bloggers, at long last I have got around to a post and, this time, it is something from me! It is a decoupage picture that I made for a special friend's special birthday.


You may recall I did an apron in this technique. This hanging is slightly different, in so far as I painted some of the background along with some of the images; this was done with acrylic paints.

Here's a few close ups  
   

the base foundation is African seedcloth which I dyed with tea


the serviettes/napkins were added with textile modge podge. I like to leave metallic threads hanging down the sides of my pictures, it's on of my 'signature' things; recipients are at liberty to cut off if they don't like them!


some of the gold is done with a Krylon gold leaving pen, some with Reeves metallic gold paint. All acrylics used were by Reeves, they do a wonderful array of vibrant colours, I love them.




I added an African fabric backing and put a slot at the top, to take a piece of dowelling for hanging.


Other than this I have made a few cards and almost finished my mixed media canvas; it had to take back seat whilst I dealt with birthdays, October is a busy month.

I should have some positive news about the house, and moving back to the UK before too long. But before it happens my son is coming out for 3 weeks over Christmas and the New Year, so the time I was dreading I am now looking forward to, it will still be sad but at least we'll be together.

10 comments:

Millie said...

Just beautiful, Nettie!

Jester said...

Nettie, this is FABULOUS! Thanks for showing the close ups; they really show off the colours and details. Your friend will love this!
I'm pleased your son will be able to spend Cristmas with you.

cheryl said...

oh dear nettie this is one amazing piece of art oh hun its just amazing,just cant find the words to describe it gosh your friend is going to be the luckiest person in the world to recieve this beauty,stunning,hun really is could look at this all day.
So glad your son will be with you at xmas,and hope when you come back to the UK,and you are not too far away maybe we could visit,each other,but take care hun,love hugs cheryl xxxxxxxxxx

Doina said...

Very, very beautiful!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

That is a beautiful piece, Nettie, and it's so good to see you back again, especially showing some of your own work. Enjoy your time with your son, and best hopes and wishes for a successful move back to the UK!

Nigel said...

This is a stunning piece of art, so vibrant and colourful.

Glad to see you around again, and good to here things are picking up for you.

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

A fabulous work of art Nettie - the colours are glorious. I'm so pleased you are creating again, and I wish you well with the move back to the UK.
Take care - hugs, Sylvia xxxx

Nicci said...

this is stunning Nettie, you are so talented .. I love love love it
nicci xxx

sue said...

wow nettie thats incedible, glad you are spending christmas with family
sue x

Pumpy said...

My Goodness Nettie, these are fantastic. Love them. xxx

Label Cloud

translator

Click for Cape Town, South Africa Forecast



________________
Add this to your site

my favourite living artist

my favourite living artist
is Kaffe Fassett

counter

Knit a Square

Knit a Square
help keep an orphan child warm

design team member

design team member
hudson jets

Stamps Happen at Janlynn

onyxXpressions


Lea


Favourite Books

  • Bonjour Tristesse (Francoise Sagan)
  • Complete Works of T.S. Eliot
  • Creative Art Concepts for Papercrafts (Lea Cioci)
  • Creative Cloth Doll Making (Patti Medaris Culea)
  • Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight (Alexandra Fuller)
  • First Love (Ivan Turgenov)
  • I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou)
  • La Belle Saison (Patricia Atkinson)
  • Letting Go (Morrie Schwartz)
  • Riding the Mountains Down (Bettina Selby)
  • The Alexandria Quartet (Lawrence Durrell)
  • The Sea, The Sea (Iris Murdoch)
  • The Silent Minaret (Ishtiyaq Shukin)
  • The Weather in the Streets (Rosamond Lehmann)
  • White Swans (Jung Chang)
Quilting Gallery Logo

Gumtree Cape Town




quilters unite!

quilters unite!
ewespace

Cape Town Activities

Township Art

FreshlyGround

join me on facebook

website of Alvin Schroeder

commitment

MyCommitment.org

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed



make a commitment now

MyCommitment.org

The International English School

This school was set up by my foster daughter, Tania, in May 1995. It is still going strong with an excellent reputation.






circle of friends

circle of friends


Snow Effect